Seastar Biotech has successfully carried out a broad range of projects examining the genetics of terrestrial and aquatic species.
We are currently carrying out a pan-arctic population genetic analysis of Arctic Cod, developing environmental DNA tools for tracking the European green crab, examining genetic population structure and diversity of South American fishes, and exploring the invasion and population genetics of marine zooplankton.
Clients, collaborators and funders include:
- Fisheries and Oceans Canada
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
- Weldwood of Canada
- BC Hydro
- BC Ministry of Environment
- Alaska Department of Fish and Game
- BC Ministry of Forests
- BC Ministry of Fisheries
- World Fisheries Trust
- The North Pacific Research Board
Selected complete projects:
- Genetic analysis of pink salmon in the Lower Fraser River.
- Assessment of the genetic relationship among sockeye salmon and kokanee populations of the lower Mainland of British Columbia: Implications for establishment of an anadromous sockeye run in the Coquitlam watershed.
- Genetic analysis of white sturgeon (Acipenser transmontanus) from Stuart, Fraser and Trembleur lakes: Integration with data from the Fraser, Nechako and Stuart rivers of British Columbia.
- Feasibility Assessment of kokanee re-anadromization, and planning of fish propogation for re-introduction of Sockeye Salmon in Coquitlam Reservoir.
- Analysis of genetic population structure of white sturgeon (Acipenser transmontanus) from the Columbia and Kootenay rivers of British Columbia. BC.
- Genetic analysis of the sea cucumber, Parastichopus californicus from SE Alaska.
- Population structure of Parastichopus californicus in British Columbia: Implications for fishery management.
- Genetic considerations in breeding and out planting abalone. A guide for development of programs aimed at stocking cultured abalone into the wild.
- Nass River summer run steelhead: population structure and mixed stock analysis of fishwheel samples.
- Province-wide genetic structure of British Columbia steelhead.
- Balanced Enhancement of Clayoquot Sound Sockeye and Coho salmon based on Genetic Surveys.
- Defining units for conservation of steelhead trout in British Columbia.
- Use of molecular markers for seed lot management of Douglas Fir. British Columbia Ministry of Forests and Forest Genetics Council.
- Analysis of Genetic Relationship between Atlantic salmon Broodstocks.
- Population genetic analysis of Pinto Creek, Alberta, Mountain Goat.
- Population structure of British Columbia white sturgeon with emphasis on the Fraser River.
- Population structure and mixed stock analysis of Okanagan Lake kokanee.
- Population structure of British Columbia rainbow trout broodstock lakes.
- Reconstruction of an historical mixed stock sockeye fishery from archived scale samples.